His Very Heart

“Come to me, all you who are struggling hard and carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. Put on my yoke, and learn from me. I’m gentle and humble. And you will find rest for yourselves. My yoke is easy to bear, and my burden is light.” 

Our Parish is studying this verse. The week our study began, a radio program, several devotions, and a book I'm reading - all spoke on Matt 11:28-30. Love how God speaks! 

In "Gentle and Lowly," Dane Ortlund writes this is the one place Jesus tells us of His own heart. His very heart is gentle (His posture towards His own isn't a pointed finger, but open arms); lowly (He's accessible - all He wants and needs is our open heart.) “He can't un-gentle Himself toward His own, any more than you or I can change our eye color. It's who we are." D. Ortlund 

God has been drawing me closer to His heart, taking my burdens and replacing them with his yoke (which is actually a non-yoke; an un-burdening). This year, I've come into a new understanding of God's WITHNESS. He doesn't simply meet us at our place of need, He lives in our place of need. And He never gets tired of holding us, hearing and holding our burdens, and loving us fully. Love is who He is. 

I went to the beach last weekend with friends. Sitting at the waters edge, a bird hopped right in front of me. I noticed he only had one leg. As I watched him hop, the Lord reminded me, though this bird is broken and limited, it lives fully, happily unafraid of what tomorrow will bring. As much as God cares for this little bird's sweet life, how much more does He care for mine. 

In that moment, my heart began to heal. I was finally able to give my brokenness to God. I still have moments of grief, but I'm accepting when you're recovering, new things to grieve or process present themselves constantly. 

 

In the stretching and breaking, my heart became fertile ground for God to do a new work. It’s a new beginning - a chance to go deeper. 

Grateful for all the ways God keeps me clinging, and for all the ways He's encouraged me through the Holy Spirit, our Parish, my family, dear friends, my therapist, and the doctors and nurses who tend so well to both my physical and emotional needs. Hope (amidst grief) and peace (among the pieces) are rising. Yes, even here 💕 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Home, His Glory

Never Undone

Let Love Guide {the beginning}