A Thrill of HOPE

I am so grateful for beautiful life (and that my birthday falls within Advent). The candles of HOPE and PEACE are now lit, on the wreath, and in my heart.

The lectionary had an obscure (not-seemingly-super-Adventy) scripture from Luke 21:25-33 (AMP) the first Sunday. The sky is literally falling, but God, in holy mystery, reminds the end isn't the end.
The Return of Christ: “There will be signs (attesting miracles) in the sun and moon and stars; and on the earth [there will be] distress and anguish among nations, in perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea and the waves, people fainting from fear and expectation of the [dreadful] things coming on the world; for the [very] powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with [transcendent, overwhelming] power [subduing the nations] and with great glory. Now when these things begin to occur, stand tall and lift up your heads [in joy], because [suffering ends as] your redemption is drawing near.”
During our moments of reflection, I was overcome with the power and sovereignty of God - over the world, and over mine. Last year I embraced the practice of introspection and darkness of Advent. I felt the expectancy of Jesus - of His presence in my life and the life of my family. We had no way of knowing the journey ahead, which was mercy. Knowing the whole story would have been too much.
Advent is the intersection of darkness and light, of looking back in remembrance and forward in hope. I appreciate the time to reflect and grieve, while also looking expectantly. At the beginning of the year, my word was REMEMBER. The practice of remembering helped me process grief through the lens of faith. More than any time in my life, I feel the WITHNESS and ABIDING of Jesus. I have fallen in love with the humanity and mercy and love of Jesus. He loved us enough to enter our broken, weary darkness.
Though life continues to swirl, I feel the thrill of HOPE found in Jesus, alone. Grateful His hope, joy, peace and love aren’t grounded in my circumstances, but in Christ alone. My heart is tethered to the manger and the cross.
Grateful for the hope that came, the hope that’s here, the hope to come.
My new favorite by Lauren Daigle + Jon Foreman, "A Place Called Earth"
Oh, how I long for heaven in a place called earth
Where every son and daughter will know their worth
Where all the streets resound with thunderous joy
Oh how I long for heaven in a place called earth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Home, His Glory

Never Undone

Let Love Guide {the beginning}