He is Sufficient

Lately I've been {obsessed} with this song by Laura Hackett.  The lyrics speak to everything God has been working in my life the past 3 months.

You satisfy my soul
You satisfy my soul
You satisfy my soul
With Your love

You make my heart sing
You lift me on eagles wings
Just when I thought that my heart it would faint
You take the darkest night and turn it to shining light
Just when I thought that the night had won

Hallelujah, You make all things beautiful
Hallelujah, trials and testing prove there’s gold
Hallelujah, You turn mourning into joy

This past summer was probably one of the loneliest times of my life {Although I now realize it was one of my best times of growth.} Have you ever had a time in your life where God set you apart from everyone & demanded your attention & heart? That was this summer for me.

My "love language" is quality time, so it was difficult to be "alone" with only God as my companion & confidant. And yet, I can see now how important it is to make God my sufficiency. Only He can satisfy my soul.

My 93-year-old Grandmother {who is my faith mentor & my heart} has exemplified practicing God's sufficiency. She was orphaned as a very young child, lived with a gaggle of different relatives, married the love of her life {only to lose him much too young}, became dear friends with a group of fellow widows {nicknamed the Old Bitties Club} ♥ and these very dear friends have now all gone to glory. Throughout her life she's experienced times where it was literally her & God. And she learned {at a young age} that having God in her life is sufficient. Friends, loves, family will come {and then pass away} but God will never leave us. This is the lesson God poured into me this summer {mind you, I was not all, "WhooHoo! Let's DO this!} I cried, struggled with depression & motivation {it was a hard lesson}. However, as time went on {following my grandmother's example} I began to understand this lesson of sufficiency. Giving all my hurts, hopes, joys & even mullygrubbing {my word for complaining} to Him I began to learn God's grace is sufficient. And the second part of this verse from 2 Corinthians ... this is my life verse {for reals!}

For the past month this verse has stalked me {I've heard/read/sang about it everywhere I've gone ... our pastor even preached about it on Sunday morning}. It's times like this I know our God has a sense of humor! {I tend to be stubborn so the only way God can get His message across to me is to repeat it over & over {& over again} until I finally get it in my ♥}
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."

I, like Paul, have an impediment that keeps me close to God {though it's taken 39 years to learn to "boast GLADLY" about it.} I have a disability that affects the way I walk {and both my boys inherited it.} In addition, I suffer from weekly migraines {3-4x/week}. I joke with friends had I been born "perfect" I would probably be a BFJ {big-fat-jerk!} But the truth is these "troubles" DO keep me close to God. His strength is with me when I rise, stays with me throughout the day & is with me when I fall into bed each night. And, God's given me a spirit of perseverance & joy {plus the bonus of the Holy Spirit} which is always with me to guide & encourage.

When I was young I really didn't ♥ being disabled, but it's given me a softness in my heart for others who are different & built into my character empathy, compassion, grace & mercy. And in my years on this Earth I've grown in my understanding of who God is {and the love He has for each of us} & I've learned to accept His wisdom in all He created {and accept we're all created in His image & with His heart}.

Our pastor's sermon on Sunday was titled "When God Says No" and focused on how Paul PRAYED for God to remove his "thorn in the flesh." But, it didn't happen. I can relate to this story as I prayed SO many prayers for myself growing up {and even more prayers for my boys} to be healed of this disability. Now, God isn't a "BFJ."  {it's the opposite} He knows exactly what we need {& He gives it to us.} Do we always understand? No. Do we always love it? No. The truth is God is weaving together a picture that's bigger than any of us & we've all been created with exact specifications for a specific purpose. And, as we grow in our faith, we grow in our acceptance of this truth. And we grow in our knowledge of God's heart.

I share all this to let you in on my personal experience {to encourage you & let you know I have a heart for the struggles & adversities you're facing} And, I want to encourage you in this moment. If you're in a hard place, experiencing a moment of heartache, conflict, depression, confusion, God wants to be your sufficiency. His heart is love & He is for you.

Hallelujah, He makes ALL things beautiful! Praying your soul is satisfied in His love for you. ♥

All my love, Amy ♥

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Home, His Glory

Let Love Guide {the beginning}

Never Undone